Where possible use photos and images to enhance posts and add interest.
- Upload individual photos and small galleries via your media library.
- Upload a Gallery and it is managed through your Next Generation Gallery plugin
Edit images before you upload them
- Size I edit them to < 600-800 pixels wide before I load them up – some new versions of the NExt generation gallery plug in automatically resize images if you tick a box.
- Name the Images – they should be named what they are – good for search engines and also makes them easier to find when they are in your media file once uploaded. maria2.jpg is much easier to find that image24395.jpg
- if you do not have images, use the ” Quote editing tool to create visual interest
Uploading images to your page
- Choose the point in the page you want to insert the image, click in the position.
- Click on Image – beside the upload/Insert tool.
- Click Browse if the image is on your computer – then press upload
- Select the size you want the image to display 300 is half the page, 600 is full page, 150 is a thumbnail, select if you want it left, right or centre.
- Click insert into post
- You can put 2 x photos side by side if they are 300 px wide, it is helpful to put a space between them
- Once uploaded onto a website: the photo remains in the media library and can also accessed from there
- NEW Media gallery FEATURE when you click add media button, you see you on the left have an add media option and add gallery option. Try the add gallery option – select or upload the images you want, click create gallery, choose column option – I use the three column option, which puts three images across the page and insert. – click preview to see what it looks like. Here is a sample
Set up a New Generation Gallery
- Scroll down your left hand menu on your WordPress dashboard to Gallery, click on add new gallery/images
- Add a new gallery – name it with something that makes sense eg <March ’12 Workshop> rather than <workshop>
- Select images for your gallery (remember resize and rename them first) – you can select multiple images to load
- Select the gallery you want to add them to and click upload
- you can also use this method to add new photos to old galleries, but just skipping the second bullet point
- You have now set up a Gallery you can use as a slideshow
Uploading a Slideshow or gallery into your post
If you would rather display a slideshow rather than just one or two images
- Click an insertion point where you want the gallery to appear
- In editing Tools select <Add nextgen gallery>
- Decide on which gallery you want to display – select it
- Decide which form of display you want – try each one and preview to see the effect, I find Image list or slideshow the most useful