The key to writing effective blog posts is to keep in mind that you are writing for two audiences – search engines and your customers.
Writing for Search Engines
Search engines love blog posts because the content is fresh and usually focuses on one subject per post. Every post you write about a topic or product relating to your business gives you another chance to come top in a Google search.
Here are a few tips to make sure your blog posts get you lots of targeted search engine traffic:
- Decide on one key phrase or word for each post you write and include it in the post’s title, content and tags.
- Write titles full of kewords. Eg. “Lego Trucks for Boys” instead of “Get Building with Lego”
- Think about what potential customers will type when searching for your business. Use their language, not yours.
- Write in a friendly conversational tone, as if you were talking to a client over the phone.
- Leave advertising and brochure text out – this is not what blogs are for
- Provide links to more info, supporting video clips etc
- Include photos or screen shots if appropriate.
Writing for Customers
- Insert the “Read More” tag into your post somewhere after the first paragraph (go to code view to find this) so they only get part of your post via email.
- Include a prompt to enquire or purchase something on your website.
- Include an appropriate affiliate product (such as a book) to earn your commission
- Add the Related Categories plugin to your website so a list of posts in the same category appears under each post you write.
- Include questions on your post to encourage readers to make comments.
- Include a teaser sentance about your next post