L’Abri is a beautiful Bed and Breakfast overlooking Akaroa Harbour. I met the host Jane at an Italian cooking class, she had been thinking for some time that she needed a new website, and thought she could work with me.
The old site :
- was adequate, but not mobile responsive, so would be penalised by google for that.
- failed to capture how special this place is – small images and not enough of them.
- Did not use Titles and descriptions to maximise it’s Search engine visibility.
- Text was small and hard to read.
- Clients were confused between the Cottage and the in house B&B
The New L’abri Website
- WordPress: Built on WordPress Genesis Framework using the Executive Pro Theme – all fully responsive and able to be read on mobile devices
- Home page Slideshow: Home page slideshow features the house, the landscape, the rooms with links to relevant pages, and teasers for descriptions on each. Aim – to be evocative and to tempt people to explore more
- Strong Home Page: Home page summarises the location, and the two options for staying
- Custom Book Now buttons are strategically placed on home page, in sidebar, in footer and room pages.
- Each room page has strong images, and a slideshow.
- Set up a Facebook page with a similar look and feel to the website and linked it to the site – a feed displays in the sidebar, the facebook page links to the website.
- Navigation in the menu and in the sidebar –
- Tripadvisor and Facebook links are prominent.
- What to do in Akaroa: Introduced a new page for local activities
- SEO: Each page has it’s own title, description and keywords
As I have also run an accommodation business, I was able to see the issues that were holding the site back and offer suggestions for ways forward.